White Tiger Press

“He Was A National Champion and 2 Time Big East Tournament MVP, But Out Of The NBA In 1 Year.”  

Andrew, Journalist

Wed 27, 2019

San Fernando, California

(Photo by: Courier-Journal)

In the 2012-13 NCAA basketball season the Louisville Cardinals led by senior guard Peyton Siva, junior guard Russ Smith, and junior guard Gorgui Dieng marched through the regular season with a 35-5 record. In sports-reference.com, along with this incredible seasonal performance Peyton Siva would win his second Most Outstanding Player Award inserting himself as the second player to ever do it (behind All-Star Knicks center Patrick Ewing). As you can most likely tell his college resume is full of awards and amazing achievements possibly those enough to make an NBA team want to take a risk on him.

If you agreed you would be terribly wrong the 2013 NBA draft would feature talents like Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter Jr., Nerlens Noel, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Rudy Gobert, Dennis Schroder, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr., and of course Peyton Siva. In this draft the Cleveland Cavaliers would make the infamous decision of taking Anthony Bennett with the first overall pick. The first couple picks Siva was still on the board, lottery picks pass, Siva still on the board 20th, 21st, 22nd.. 29th, 30th, Siva still untouched. The finally as Adam Silver comes out of the draft room he steps to the podium and announces “With the 56th pick the Detroit Pistons select Peyton Siva”

Things were looking up for this 24-year-old, but the teams that passed up on him would soon prove to be right about him. Siva would only go on to play 24 games only touching the court for 9 minutes each game and averaging a very unimpressive 2 points per game and only assisting 1 time. I mean this season would be very disappointed for a guy who was constantly dishing out assists in college 1 assist is the best he can do. Of course you would have to put to account the fact that they only played him 9 minutes, the 9 minutes are understandable, he was a second round pick, but there really is no reason to only play him 24 games.

Of course it’s not only the organization’s fault he was a 24-year-old rookie at the time ever since the early 2000’s till now teams usually look for younger players such as 18,19, 20, 21 year old that they can try and mold into possible cornerstones of the future but still despite his age and stats which were far lower than you would expect if you were to watch him play he did win the Most Outstanding Player Award but anyway he would be waived in the 2014-15 season and later would sign with Juvecaserta Basket of the Italian Serie A League for the 2015-16 season and average 6.5 assists and led the league. That would earn him a two year deal for Alba Berlin in the 2016-17 season. According to basketball.realgm.com Siva averaged 14.8 points per game and 9.7 assists per game this current live season. Well now that his career in the NBA is over he’s lighting it up over in the Euro League.

Sources:

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/2/Eurocup/team/142/ALBA-Berlin/stats

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/peyton-siva-1.html