Cardio-Thoracic Surgery

The+picture+exemplifies+the+process+by+which+the+medical+personnel+performs+surgery+on+the+heart+organ.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Cardio-Thoracic Surgery

The picture exemplifies the process by which the medical personnel performs surgery on the heart organ.

Anita, Journalist

Cardio-thoracic Surgery  San Fernando, California

When I was 8 my grandpa passed away.  It really hit me because he was like my dad. Since that day,  it has been my dream to become a surgeon. I want to be the reason that someone gets to live another day and I want my patients to know that they can count on me. My aunt is a doctor, and she’s another reason on why I want to become a doctor. She showed me that helping people does good in life. She makes me feel like I can accomplish my dreams and my goals. My motivation is my mom, she motivates me to become better in life. To work hard, so I can show everyone what I can really do. When I was 12,  I had surgery.  This was one of the moments that I knew that I wanted to become a surgeon. The surgeons at the hospital took care of me, treated me well and made me feel safe. They were really dedicated to their job, and they were highly skilled.

The path to medicine is rough. You choose to do medicine because it’s your passion and because it’s what you love to do. The sooner you figure out that you want to go to medical school, complete your intern year, do your residency, do your fellowship, and become an attending, the better you will be. University takes 4 years, medical school takes 4 years, it is about a 3-7 year residency, and 2-3 year for fellowship. Medical students aren’t referred to as a doctor or physician until they graduate from medical school. After completing medical school you do a year of internship. Which means that it’s their post-medical school training. They aren’t allowed to do any medical procedures unattended. A surgery residency may last five or seven more years. A fellow is a physician who has completed their residency and completes further training in a specialty. A cardio-thoracic surgeon completes an intern year and a residency year in general surgery. When they complete residency they then move on to a fellowship in cardio-thoracic surgery. This would provide more training in the heart & lungs. Attendings have completed their training and are now doing their own things in their specialty.

I am choosing medicine instead of becoming a teacher or a cop because I love the ability to save lives. I want to be standing in a OR room doing what I am passionate about. I want to feel like I can do anything, because I can if I work hard for it. I want to see the patient’s family when I tell them that they have made it through surgery. The happiness in their face when they’re going to see their family member again face to face and not in a coffin. The heart fascinates me because its structured in a way that helps us live. It’s connected to over a million veins in your body and just thinking about that makes me want to become a surgeon even more. It makes me ask questions like, “How does one little vein, have control over your whole heart?” or “why does one little organ control lot of parts of your body?” Cardio-thoracic Surgery is not something that surgeons do for the money, they do it because it’s their passion. They’re doing something that they love. They don’t just spend their whole life working hard studying and working over 100 hours for nothing. Cardio-thoracic surgery is hard and challenging but in the end worth it.

Cardio-thoracic surgery is worth all the hard work, and time you put in. why? Because you’re saving lives. You are giving your patients hope. You’re showing them that they can trust you to open up their bodies and fix what’s inside them. I know deep down that I could become a cardio-thoracic surgeon, and a good one. I believe in myself, I believe that I can do what I want to do if I work hard and I just keep walking forward. I know that it’s going to be worth it. It’s going to be worth all the years going to school, and all the days stressing out.